06 October 2007

#8 RSS Feeds

More serendipity this week:

One of my most favourite online reference sites, ResourceShelf, has chosen the timely subject of its own RSS feeds as its "Resource of the Week" How good is that!

What is also quite uncanny is that this weekend is when our IT department is planning to load the IE7 browser onto our work PCs. I've been waiting a long time for this, especially because we are not allowed to download software and IE6 does not have a built in RSS feed aggregator like both Firefox (which I use on my home PC) and IE7. For a long time now, I have been considering how RSS could be used on our Council's corporate intranet to enable internal users to create their own "current awareness" pages. There hasn't been any way of testing this idea until now.

Rafe Needleman's video introduction mentions "more news from more sources than you could ever possibly read. " Now this is what has frustrated me the most about RSS feeds up till now. The ones I currently have on my home PC in my Yahoo Mail account are mainly news headlines from major media sources. Most of the time I don't want to read any of them. But what do I do with the ones I want to keep or read later? I guess the trick now is to focus or customise the RSS feeds that I subscribe to. I'll go back now to the lesson plan and work my way through. This may solve my problem.


No comments: