25 October 2007

#13 De.lic.ious - my view of tagging develops

I didn't think much of tagging when I had a look around Flickr. But the article I read this week on The Several Habits of Wildly Successful del.icio.us Users hit home immediately when I started to consider the difficulties we have locating documents in our organisation's document management system. It requires that the creator of a document use "appropriate terms" in naming the document. That's fine for the creator, but if other users of the document could add terms or tags of their own to help find the document again, that would be a definite plus.

The use of the "for" tag looks interesting, too, for current awareness alerting within our organisation. I must investigate that further. Ditto for another relevant website I discovered: Social Software in Libraries
Melissa Rethlefen's article "Tags help make libraries del.icio.us" in Library Journal last month is another eye-opener, filled with exciting ideas for attracting library users to high quality information sources.
Even within our staff, using accounts with del.icio.us and LibraryThing could be a great way to share ideas for developing services.

1 comment:

Sprout said...

Hi Pat, love what you've done with your blog. It looks really good. What are you goin to add next?